Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tropical Storm Irene

Hurricane Irene has diminished from a hurricane to a tropical storm. Here in Cambridge, since about 7:30 this morning, the wind has been making the trees boogie, and the rain has been mostly torrential. My dad and I are just hanging out inside the posh hotel because of the weather. I didn't even think to pack a raincoat, let alone my Wellingtons.

We took a walk around Harvard Square in the afternoon. My dad commented on the fact that students were out and about despite the weather, but I suspect many more people would be outside if it weren’t for the tropical storm. The worst appears to be over; we saw many loose leaves lying at the side of the road and on the sidewalk, and a few branches have broken off, but it could have been a lot worse.

 This is what happens when you try to take a picture through a window during a tropical storm. The windows in the hotel room have a sign saying not to open them.


 Branches and leaves--very minor storm damage.

No comments: