Saturday, August 27, 2011

Traveling to, and Arrival in, Cambridge, MA


My dad and I arrived in Cambridge, Massachusetts today! We're surrounded by beautiful old buildings, and just down the street is a seventeenth century cemetery! We wandered into a place called the Harvard Coop, and it's not just a co-op cafe (upstairs) but in particular it's a bookstore for Harvard students. My dad had to practically drag me out.
It's been raining in Cambridge--and we drove through a downpour on the way to Cambridge. It's a bad sign when you're on the highway and see vast numbers of vehicles coming from the other direction, and convoys of utility vehicles are going the same direction you are. Hurricane Irene is supposed to get here tomorrow afternoon.

We drove by Seneca Falls, and my dad didn't know anything about the Seneca Falls convention. I read the Declaration of Women's Rights on my Kindle as we drove by. Maybe we'll visit the Elizabeth Cady Stanton House on the way back. http://www.senecafalls.com/


 Historic plaques are everywhere!


 Harvard Coop--a big bookstore with a cafe upstairs. The Harvard banners remind me of Hogwarts.



 Harvard and the surrounding colleges have charming gates like these. This one leads to Radcliffe College.
 View of the seventeenth-century graveyard, or rather burial ground.
 In Harvard Square, a shopping center near Harvard Yard--here you see the World News stand on the left and the info booth on the right.




No comments: