Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Laurel and Hardy Visit Vancouver, Canada

Beltane, Vancouver, British Columbia

After my dad arrived in Portland, he discovered a piece of his car (just by a back wheel) hanging off the car probably thanks ot someone kicking it, perhaps an aggressive bicyclist who hates cars. That’s my theory, anyway. Meanwhile, a strange message was popping up on my computer screen—something to do with “run-time error” and “C++,” MS Word refused to cooperate, freezing up and not letting me even scroll down, let alone revise or print a document. Also, I left my reading glasses (in a case) behind at a movie theater after we went to see The Raven.

My dad’s car is in a good shop, Details by Mark, not far from my apartment (he meant to drive it to Canada, and unlike my car it has GPS). My computer spent the night at Office Depot and was thoroughly cleaned up…but after I used it a couple times, the message reappeared. Office Depot didn’t solve the problem, so I decided to leave my computer behind and try to fix it after we return to Portland. I returned to the movie theater at about noon, and my glasses did indeed make it to the lost and found box. It was such a great relief to get them back.

We left for Vancouver at about 8:10 am, taking my car, of course. We were slowed down by some inclement weather; I drove slower through it. Misty mountains are beautiful, but I had to stop hydroplaning and slow down.

When we reached the border, there were several lanes of traffic, and on the far right lane was a lane for “Nexus.” We had no idea what that meant. I figured it was the one lane we should avoid, so I veered off to the lane to the left of it. Skinny poles eventually separated the right lane from the others, and the road went uphill so that we couldn’t see traffic far ahead. I became alarmed to see almost all the oncoming cars line up in the right lane, and my dad convinced me that it must be the correct lane, so I slowly backed up until I was far enough to get around the skinny poles and get into the right lane.

But within seconds I had a bad feeling about the right lane. It looked like that lane was for people who had special passes, and indeed we saw those ahead of us had white passes that they appeared to stick in a machine.

Meanwhile, my dad was nervously talking so constantly and wigging out through all of this. As we got over the hill, we soon noticed that the vast majority of cars were in the other lanes, after all—but I couldn’t get beyond the spiky little poles with lots of cars behind me. So I drove up to a little booth, like a ticket booth, and fortunately a guy was in the booth. I said, “I think we’re in the wrong lane.” He asked me some questions, such as whether we were carrying firearms or tobacco or alcohol, and he gave me a sheet of yellow paper and told me to pull over to the far left lane. I did so and spoke with another guy in a black uniform (whatever happened to dressing like Dudley Do-right in bright red jackets?), and I parked the car as instructed.

My dad and I went into a tall glass building with glass double doors and spoke with another agent who was behind a counter—she asked us questions, and after relinquishing our passports, we had to (like a few other people) sit in wooden seats at the far end of the room. We hadn’t waited long, before we were called back up, which surprised me because all the other waiting people were there before us. So we were only delayed about five minutes, according to my dad.

After that, I continued driving (my dad only did so for, say, two hours in Washington, but it’s my car and I seriously think I’m the better driver). Arriving in Vancouver, I was nervous about getting lost but also fascinated by some of the houses/mansions we passed; a lot of them were Craftsman-style, like in Portland. It must have been really popular in the Pacific Northwest, in both the U.S. and Canada.

No comments: