Friday, May 4, 2012

Arrival in Victoria, BC, Canada

We arrived in Victoria at about 2 pm.

We took the ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island (well, technically we were outside the city of Vancouver by the time we got to the ferry). It was, of course, raining most of the time I drove from Vancouver to the ferry.

On the ferry ride, I experienced slight dizziness but enjoyed the gorgeous views. It was really cold and windy outside, so even I spent more time inside than out. On one of my ventures outdoors, a seagull coasted in the sky alongside the ferry, keeping up with it without flapping its wings. Maybe it thought the ferry was a really big fellow creature. Later, while I was in the shop with my dad, I looked in the direction of a window and noticed we were passing islands, so I dashed back outside; I also watched a ferry coming from the opposite direction. My dad was enthusiastically shopping in the gift shop (and so was I was long as I was looking at books). My dad could have shopped forever, but I got impatient and went out to take pictures and make three little videos.

After that, we drove from the ferry to Victoria for about half an hour. I got lost in town and asked for directions twice—the second time because the first person I asked hadn’t remembered that Government Street is one way for several blocks. We were only two blocks from Government Street, but the one way blocks were a major hindrance.

The weather has been bright and sunny ever since we arrived on Vancouver Island. Thanks to growing up with the fiction of L. M. Montgomery, I keep thinking of Prince Edward Island, which is on the other side of Canada.

The James Bay Inn is full of antiques and was built in 1906. Old-fashioned radiators are in our rooms, and the lobby in particular has a lot of antique furniture (and two antique radios) and a fireplace. We wandered around town after checking in. The inn is surrounded by lots of beautiful Victorian houses.

No comments: