Thursday, May 10, 2012

From Seattle to Portland

I drove us to Portland. I had said it was supposed to be a three hour drive, and it actually took us two hours and fifty minutes to get there (yes, my dad kept track). We picked up his car, as good as new, and dropped off my car at a place a couple blocks away that fixes auto glass. The business is called Action Auto Glass, and the owner assured us that the windshield just needed a patch, not a replacement. That was a relief.
 My computer problem was more complicated. I kept up an e-mail correspondence with Maude, who when I gave her the exact words of the error message informed me that it sounds like MS Windows is corrupted. I couldn’t find the original Windows disk, so I called up Office Depot and explained the problem.

Unfortunately, the guy on the phone said that the Windows disk is specific to the computer, so you can’t just borrow it from someone else; you have to contact the manufacturer and buy a new one.

After some more correspondence with Maude, I contacted the manufacturer, and via e-mail a staff member gave me step-by-step directions for downloading a cleaning-up program that’s on the computer.  After I backed up all my files on a DVD-rom, and ran this program and saved it onto two DVD-roms as instructed, I restarted the computer. That’s what it took to solve the computer problem. It actually took me about a month to get it all cleared up. Sigh.

No comments: