Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tame Squirrels


While I was taking a walk in my new neighborhood, I stopped in front of a tree that seemed to be full of bird feeders. A couple of squirrels were on the tree, and one of them jumped down and scurried toward me. She stood about six inches away from me, looking up as if she expected me to feed her. I took her picture instead.


While I was out taking pictures of the squirrels, two people came out and I learned that they raised the squirrels. Someone found four baby squirrels at a construction site and brought them to the woman I met, and she bottle fed them. Now they eat all kinds of nuts, right out of your hand. I fed the tamest squirrel a couple of peanuts, and she scurried down the tree trunk and touched my hand with one paw while taking the shelled peanuts.


This squirrel's name is Lucinda (if I recall correctly), and she's had babies. Another squirrel was called Yoda.





No comments: