Friday, March 27, 2009

Another Thing About My New Neighborhood

I think that people who have long hair and cats should get a discount on apartments with hardwood floors. A big discount. This isn't St. Louis, where apartments with hardwood floors are common. Here you have to pay significantly more for hardwood floors, and it seems like the pretty buildings dating to the 1920s are more costly than these drab 1970s buildings.

But at least my apartment building is surrounded by pretty, brightly painted Victorian houses. And cats. They're all over. I've seen at least five in the parking lot already. It's the neighborhood in general--while I walked to Safeway this afternoon, I stopped every so often to pet cats, and one of them was a Himalayan with bright blue eyes. And yesterday while I was unloading my car and leaving stuff sitting outside my front door, the next door neighbor had their door open with the screen door closed, and a big black cat with yellow eyes sat right in the doorway and watched me in fascination. Soul mate. The call of the Cat Goddess. If people reacted to me the way cats do, I'd already have a job at Powell's Books.

No comments: